Melbourne CSIRO rally
Staff and supporters of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) joined community members in Melbourne on Saturday 2nd April to protest plans to cut hundreds of jobs from the Australian science icon; including world-leading climate research.
The rally, which was organised by the Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU), CSIRO Staff Association and Australian Youth Climate Coalition took place outside with over 500 people in attendance.
- Iconic Australian actor and activist Samuel Johnson
- Federal Labor MP Mark Dreyfus QC
- Australian Greens Senator Janet Rice
- CSIRO workers from laboratories across Victoria
- Amelia Telford (SEED) and Kirsty Albion from the Australian Youth Climate Coalition
- CPSU Assistant National Secretary Michael Tull
The demonstration followed rallies in Hobart and Canberra that drew hundreds of participants and international condemnation of the cuts including criticism from the New York Times, Former Vice President Al Gore and international diplomat Mary Robinson.